Scroll down to start a new Topic. Subscribe to receive notifications of new Topics and Replies.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ning Webmaster 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Derek Brook has written to say that he has a bare Atalanta 31 shell available for sale, together with another 31ft boat which is beyond restoration, but would serve as a donor for parts, etc. There is also a large 4-wheel trailer in good condition.

The bare shell has been carefully stored, and was the last 31ft hull produced. It includes the deck moulding which has not been joined to the hull. All available for inspection at Bushey, Herts. 

Click here to see photos.

Please call Peter Brook on 020 8950 1313 for more information.

Dominic Dobson
    Participant

interesting but not sure I could convince Karen although shes starting to get into the sailing more and is even contemplating 3 weeks in Cornwall with me, the extra head room and space would be good, now where could I renevote it storage for 2 boats!! any body fancy a joint project. John which is the donor boat as I see Peter has 2 according to the bulletin.

Dom

Derek bought the A31 shell in 1978 (I think) and then realised how many more parts were needed to complete her, so he bought A31/1 Sancerre in very poor shape in 1980. He then decided it would be possible to restore Sancerre and set to work… By 2010 Derek’s sons Peter and Ian took over the project, and there is still some work needed to finish her, like painting, refitting the engine & keels, etc.  Then they saw the article entitled “You get what you pay for” in “Sailing Today” with a photo of an A31 advertised for £1. Among others (me included) they phoned up the yard and were met with denial of all knowledge of the photo, until they told them they already had two A31s, and went ahead and bought A31/7 Moby Dick. So now they have three A31 hulls at Bushey, their idea was to complete the empty shell (A31/13 in the latest Yearbook) using Moby Dick as the donor for all the parts. 

This led to my idea to create a trust, or some other kind of joint project, because I think that would be the best way (the only way ?) to tackle something of this size. The idea was sparked by learning how the wooden canal boat Roger was restored at Rickmansworth.

The bare shell was taken out of storage and inspected in March 2013, when these photos were taken:

http://atalantaowners.ning.com/photo/albums/a31-shell

According to Ian Brook, the hull and deck mouldings are still in excellent condition, apart from some slight discolouration on the transom where it was left exposed for a time. The hull has no bulkheads in place, although the Brooks have templates for them, and there are strips glued inside the hull to locate the bulkheads.

jim pailing
    Participant

Are these still available ?

Jim

So far as I know, yes. Best to call Ian & Peter Brook in Bushey, their phone no is in the AOA Yearbook under A31/1 (below their father’s no.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.