Associate Member P.Nichols sent through a report of his visit to see Polaris II.
The current owner had offered her for sale. She had been dry stored for many years and was in amazing ‘original’ condition including being painted in the original Fairey Marine colours. They launched her as part of the survey and she did not take a drop of water. Condition report:
- Hull sound as a bell
- Both keels wound up and down ‘as if greased and serviced yesterday’
- Engine was unserviceable
- All standing rigging and fittings in good condition
- Some minor fittings required replacement
- Sails looked new, but toggle lashings rotten
- All ropes were rotten
- Mast, boom and spinnaker pole warped and damaged in parts – all need replacing
The survey was limited by the time available and the owner changed his mind about selling. Peter and he discussed the potential of working together on her restoration.