New engine for A5 - Nanni 250HE 14hp

Replacement engine arrived today now the fun begins fitting it Nanni 14hp with heat exchanger..Sorting out bearers tomorrow. My New Mast which I picked up on holiday in Cornwall a few yrs back at a cost of £400 is almost identical to Fairey item in measurement ..

spreader brks to make  I now have the relevant info to make this work thanks to..

Nick Phillips,

Richard James  &

Jonathan Stearn

for all your help..

  • New engine for A5
    New engine for A5
    New engine for A5

    A5's new mast
    A5's new mast
    A5's new mast - masthead detail

    As an aside I Rebuilt this most of last yr The only Bugatti Hydroplane from the 1930s a world record breaking boat 1500 cc supercharged 8 cyl . This project gave me inspiration to finish Diaphony.

About simon

Boat: A5 ** Interest: My father purchased Diaphony in 1977, having just sold Our Lysander 17 called Grebe and with two adults and three kids and a dog it was decided that we needed a bigger boat.Having looked at a few boats my father stumbled across Diaphony A5 at Chichester marina on its trailer,after a while the owner finally clinched the deal with my Father in a pub at Dell Quay . After a year spent renovating A5 she was ready for launching at Chichester .The boat was sailed for the remainder of the 70s and early 80's having crossed the channel many times ,she was returned home for minor work and hasn't seen the water since. ** Location: bucks ** Country: GB

5 thoughts on “Renovation update 11th June 2020

  1. Simon,
    Great progress! The mast looks very good, as to the windows. Did you mould them yourself, from acrylic?
    Keep up the good work!

    1. Yes the windows were moulded by my long time friend David in his Kitchen. David has been an inspirational on some of Diaphonys more tricky jobs .
      The windows are 10mm Plexiglass
      because I added 1 x 1/8″veneer over the bubble.
      The mast was another head ache but a little thought and a few phone calls there is now a clear way forward .
      Did manage to spend nearly 5k on the old girl over Furlough ! and no restoring vintage Bugattis doesn’t pay..
      I nearly have all the parts now will be putting an order in for a boom with Eurospars in alloy .
      Then its just incidentals ie : paints wiring etc.
      Might have a go at fitting exhaust tomorrow , outlet gooseneck pipe and watertrap.
      Funny thing is having fitted the windows I can actually see an end in sight..Would like to have it on the water for Southampton Boat Show
      2021 . Still a load of work to do but hopefully get it done.

      A5 peaks out from her restoration tent

  2. Furlough ended now still full speed ahead on Diaphony A5 went for a Beta 10 engine in the end
    removed from T4.
    The engine which was destined for Diaphony is now sold.. The Beta 10 being a tad smaller in height and width.
    Windows Are moulded and temporarily fitted .The mast is almost sorted out awaiting welding of brackets.

  3. Your Furlough is being very good for Diaphony at least. Great to see so much progress and glad you got the information you needed for the spreaders.
    Nice colour for the engine too!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.