We’ve finally got the engine stripped down, and I’ve ordered some various parts. Amazingly, Perkins still sell most of what I needed! But, it turned out the heat exchanger was too corroded, so a replacement one is on the way – secondhand – from Chera Marine, in Bradford. The guy there is called Kully, and he is a font of all knowledge when it comes to Perkins. I cannot recommend him highly enough!

Here’s the problematic part – the body is corroded at the seals, the seals won’t seat properly, so the water would come gushing out. I could possibly get a new case for only £368, plus vat, but the complete used one from Chera is only £210 delivered. Bargain. Sort of. As long as it is in good nick… and I don’t imagine I could take the core of the current one out very easily with 50+ years of limescale etc.




Beyond that, it’s a new water pump back plate, crankshaft pulley, front pulley seal, lots of gaskets, new fuel lines, new filters, new hoses, and the new exhaust manifold/heat exchanger/header tank. Nothing too major, but it all adds up. Trying to work out what size of bolt/thread/fuel line goes together has been a steep learning curve but should be well worth it in the long run. Especially with the new filter heads…



I just hope it works when we put it all back together!


We’re starting to get finished patches on the decks, just the horrible one under the cockpit coaming to go now. They look great when they’re finished!



The coachroof has been fixed as well, at the cost of the rails that house in the main hatch. One was rotted well through the deck, so we chopped it right out. Some scarfing is required.



And now…


A couple of weeks, and we’ll start painting and cutting the new woodwork!


2 thoughts on “The engine bites back

  1. Ahoy !

    Bit late now but having worked on a pair of 4/107’s with the possibility of terminal corrosion, which fortunately did not materialise.  But the actual leak, between the thermostat elbow and the heat exchanger body lead me to the conclusion that the whole design was fraught !  Both engines had at some time thrown the H/Es off due to vibration. I came to the conclusion it would be better to mount a separate H/E on a bulkhead (a piece of steel tube and a Bowman stack with two rubber bellows would do the job) thus avoiding vibration and corrosion.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.