The foredeck from the cockpit to the forehatch has now been repaired and just needs fairing and some longitudinal slats replacing. The top laminate repairs on the bubble have now been fairedRead More…
I am now restoring Bluster’s cockpit at deck level. Getting the jib sheet tracks off (all four of them) was a struggle as many of the brass bolts were corroded into theRead More…
Hello guys, been a while but using the warm weather I have been at work doing what I can. she started as loose tape on the deck and a little hole inRead More…
Do you need a shed? An often asked question when carrying out work on a boat, the answer to which I would argue is – Yes.
I took on the restoration of A1 ‘Atalanta’ in 2016. This post begins a series in which I will document the work done, in text and photographs. There has been an extraordinary interest in A1’s progress. Many thanks to all who have expressed interest.
A1 Atalanta has been tucked up in her workshop for the last 18 months after rescue from a garden in Essex. Mike (Dixon) has achieved an amazing amount of progress in thatRead More…
Our Secretary Richard has been on his travels, sailing tupperware yachts and popping in on unsuspecting Atalanta Owners. Richard visited Chris Berry in Truro. Chris has taken on A117 Turtle – TurtleRead More…
Last week (of August), after several postponements due to inclement weather, KP’s scaffold shed was dismantled. The scaffolding has been reconfigured to provide a higher lift on the winched slings ready for the undersides
I have just finished updating the Salizanda blog following her successful re-launching and I have posted the link here.
A169 Nav Station.
Photo: Kerry Piper- Nav station mod’s. Slide out chart table allows access to storage/quarter berth below cockpit seat. Form
Photo: Saloon – shelving and seat mod’s. Full length shelves added to each side of saloon. Fitted cushion back below shelves NB:
A169 Aft Cabin refurbishment.
Salizanda was finally re-launched on the 3rd August. There is still lots to do but after 14 years it was a wonderful moment. She sails like a dream even though I can only partially lower the keels as the depth in our pond is les
There has been progress – the decks are repaired, filled and primed.
The join between the deck and blister was distressed at the forward end. Upon investigation it was clear that the laminated ‘quadrant’ in this corner was delaminating and there was evidence ofRead More…
The foredeck didn’t seem too bad away from the Blister (coachroof). However on investigation it transpired that the top veneer was breaking up in a few areas, particularly in the corners onRead More…
So, after much knuckle scraping, seized bolts and antiquated parts, she’s running again. Here’s a video:
And a pic:
We’ve finally got the engine stripped down, and I’ve ordered some various parts. Amazingly, Perkins still sell most of what I needed! But, it turned out the heat exchanger was too corroded, so a replacement one is on the way – secondhand – from Ch
Today we’ve stripped out the thrust bearing and drive – it looks like an old Aquadrive sort of affair, with two universal joints, a thrust bearing and a 4″ hub connecting to the motor. Installed length is 204mm, the shaft diameter is 31.8mm. And i
We’ve nearly stripped the whole boat now, and found a few ‘nasty’ bits of rot, but some other bits are really looking much better!
So, having a forklift definitely helps this process, especially with the weight of a Perkins 4-107 with hydraulic gearbox.
And, the excellent design of the Atalanta meaning the engine lifts out vertically!
A169 Kerry Piper Aft Deck repairs.
Photo: Aft deck repairs collage 1. Aft deck rebuild – top section repairs. Weather very cold for epoxy glui
Tim previously wrote from USA to say that he had reluctantly decided to break up A31/8 “Trio of Playford”, after trying unsuccessfully to sell her as a potential restoration project to oth
A169 Kerry Piper Hull repairs.
Trying to complete as much of the epoxy /veneer repair work before the colder weather arrives. Added below some pic’s of the the aft cabin repairs to the extensive dry rot. The rotten frame abaft the new aft bulkhead – s
A few photo’s of restoration work (so far) for A169 Kerry Piper. Apologies for the pick and mix collages, I will be posting a more complete record of the ongoing restoration of KP later
Tim Arnold writes:
“Dear Atalanta Enthusiasts,
We are regretfully disposing of A31 “Trio” Restoration is beyond our capacity. It is lying in Austin TX on a very substantial 3 axle trailer.
Before it i
Replaced most of outer keel in A77, Blue Goose. It was necessary to plane off 10 to 12 mm to get to solid mahogany.
Unbelievable! 6 months has slipped by and no significant progress has been made on Methuselah. However,
A record of the restoration of A90 Mourne Goblin in 2001-2005.
A90 Naughties Restoration – 8 The Launch !.