I thought I’d better drop in the latest news on the Zambra project, as it’s been a while. I’ve made some good progress over the last few weeks, including: Finishing all theRead More…
There has been progress – the decks are repaired, filled and primed.
So, after much knuckle scraping, seized bolts and antiquated parts, she’s running again. Here’s a video:
And a pic:
We’ve finally got the engine stripped down, and I’ve ordered some various parts. Amazingly, Perkins still sell most of what I needed! But, it turned out the heat exchanger was too corroded, so a replacement one is on the way – secondhand – from Ch
Today we’ve stripped out the thrust bearing and drive – it looks like an old Aquadrive sort of affair, with two universal joints, a thrust bearing and a 4″ hub connecting to the motor. Installed length is 204mm, the shaft diameter is 31.8mm. And i
We’ve nearly stripped the whole boat now, and found a few ‘nasty’ bits of rot, but some other bits are really looking much better!
So, having a forklift definitely helps this process, especially with the weight of a Perkins 4-107 with hydraulic gearbox.
And, the excellent design of the Atalanta meaning the engine lifts out vertically!
2011 A31-10 Zambra internal views.
Photo: Zambra interior 1 – heads. Heads and sails storage in the forepeak. There’s a drop down flap which I