Trevor Thompson
Participant

Simon

I would normally have said axactly the same. (probably have gone on a bit on the topic). However when I take things to pieces I realise that Calista has had a stainless bottom pintle burried in the skeg for many years. It was there when I bought her, and I put it into the new skeg I made some 6 or 7 years ago. I would have reused it again – there was no  sign of corrosion at all, but it was badly bent. I have sort of straitened it – but am worried about the stress it has been subjected to. I dont want it to fail at sea in bad weather!

I cant help using stainless on the bottom gudgeon attached to the rudder stock, so I might as well have a matching fitting made up to go into the skeg. That also fits in with what you said about different materials. All of the fittings on the rudder will be stainless, except for the rudder blade itself. That will be totaly isolated from the stock and the fittings. I will even insulate where they attach to the uphaul and downhaul.

I have actually ordered the three fittings!

Trevor

Simon Garratt said:

Trevor,

Personally, I would be really cautious about using stainless under water or any where without contact with oxygen (ie buried in wood) especially if galvanic action comes into play – as I am sure you are aware Stainless & aluminium are poles apart galvanic wise. I have had personal experience (on a previous boat) to this effect – stainless looks ok on the outside but in the wrong circumstances crystallises & weakens internally. This is the main reason why I went for aluminium again on my pintle (though as with stainless you need to consider the grade you need for the job in hand). It’s also why I have taken steps to isolate the stainless from aluminium – at least a visual inspection of aluminium or steel etc tells you when its time to get a new one.

Regards,

Simon