David Walworth
Participant

Interesting discussion I wish I had chimed in on earlier.  My thoughts are definitely do not lighten the keels.  The keels are your righting moment, which is your horsepower.  The higher the righting moment the more sail carrying ability.  With that in mind if the boat is to the point of the windward keel box out of the water I would definitely have the windward keel down.  With the keel down the Vertical Centre of Gravity (VCG) of that keel is lowered by 2 feet or so, a significant increase.  I agree on the ability to at least semi plane.  We were off the south coast of Nova Scotia in 1996 and had a great breeze out of the north.  We were beam reaching with the asymmetrical spinnaker on the bowsprit and full main and hit 8 knots consistently.  The boat was not light, we had been living on her at that point for 2-1/2 months having sailed from Boston to Bermuda then to Halifax and all around the Canadian Maritimes.

Keep the boat light.  Get weight out of the ends.  Fair in the forward and aft ends of the blocking on the bottom around the keel trunks.  As mentioned have good keel sealing strips.  Get rid of roller furling, rig a down haul looped over the top hank, lead it to the tack then back to a cleat at the cockpit.  Lighter and you can get rid of the sail much more quickly.  Without the roller furling the jib also does not need the weight of the sun cover.  Fair the keels and rudder.  IF you have an inboard, get a folding or feathering prop.  If an outboard take it off the transom and stow in the space under the cockpit seats.  Rig a backstay adjuster, a simple way is to have a block on each leg of the backstay linked together with a block in the middle.  Have a continuous line led from a cam cleat on one side of the aft hatch, to a block on the deck, up to the block on the adjuster, down to another block then forward to a cam cleat on the other side of the aft hatch.  Makes it very easy to open and close the leech of the main, especially if you have a fractional rig.  Clean the bottom.  We moved the anchor chain from the bow to just aft of the main bulkhead.  We are definitely going to be looking into synthetic rigging when we finally rebuild Le Bateau Ivre.  Less weight although a little more windage.