Chris Green
Participant

Hi Stephan

The resources of the AOA website are very useful containing experience of members from Bulletin records; technical plans and ideas etc to help with your plans. I have been refitting (rebuilding!) A169  over a number of years – previously owned A 100 – here are some thoughts on my own experience of some of your proposed mod’s;

Holding tanks – to comply with various EU and local laws 

Location below cockpit seat is my preference – This is made easier if the head is relocated to aft cabin as in A100 (Jaunty) and A169 (Elle);  a pump-out/extract can be fitted into the top for emptying using marina suction hose etc. A simple valve arrangement allows switching between direct outlet and holding tank. Flexible or rigid tanks are available if you shop around – or possibly make your own from epoxy coated ply. If keeping the heads in fo’c’sle – a tank could be made to fit the area, but space would be a possible issue.

Bimini – possibly needing raising the goose neck to give sufficient headroom

See my post last year on fitting the cockpit tent and rebuilding the mast with a sliding goose neck fitting.

Rejigging the pushpit to incorporate a swimming ladder, a platform for stern-to mooring
Adding a frame/arch to support solar panelling, most likely added to the pushpit
Installing some form of bowsprit incorporating anchor guide, bow roller, tack point for a code 0/1.
Adding an electric windlass – principally to aid stern-to mooring single-handed with the aid of an anchor.
Fitting boom roller reefing – means reefing and sail management can be controlled from the cockpit

Not sure that adding a “sugar scoop” arrangement around the transom mounted lifting rudder is feesible;   transom mounted bathing / boarding ladders are fitted by many owners – I have a folding  stainless steel version on A169 (and previously on A 100). The fore-deck arrangements are possible, if you were determined to incorporate them, but  would add considerable clutter for fairly light ground tackle; similarly,  the cockpit arch  would also be adding windage and clutter for the proposed stern-to mooring maneuvers, bearing in mind that Atalantas are light displacement.   

Tailored storage points for the rib/dinky on the rear deck – but this would impact access via the rear platform – is the idea of a foldable dinghy (a la Seahopper) a sensible option?

Aft deck was designed to carry a tender and also doubles as extra aft cabin headroom with the hatch open. I have a modified Seahopper as a tender and have seen at least one other Atalanta with a Seahopper on the aft deck. I would say a perfect choice for the Atalanta. Can be stored folded along the pushpit rail/ when not required.
Autohelm versus mechanical self steering gear.  Eg Navico TP1800 Tillerpilot?

If you mean wind vane versus electric tiller pilot/auto helm  – both forms have been successfully used on Atalantas – have a look through the back editions of  bulletins. Personally, I have used a number of tiller (and wheel) pilots on different boats over the years; a Simrad TP10 was the last one I used, which was perfectly adequate for an Atalanta. There was a forum discussion on mechanical wind-vanes which you could probably find -or why no start a new wind-vane topic. I know that a previous owner of A169 had one fitted back in the 70s.  Another thought is self steering from the sheets with surgical bungee cord through the whipstaff / tiller. A number of these set-ups on youtube – here is a link (URL) to one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHpyvxeK2I4

Installing an ice box with a cooling powered by the solar panelling

I have 2 x 1000V  flexible roll-up panels on A169 deployed over the cockpit tent (there was a post on this); these provide sufficient charge for a bank of batteries for the 48V – 8kw electric motor; also have an aft mounted wind 200W  wind charger (also a post on this installation). This level of charge maintains the  battery bank. Not sure you would be able to run a fridge cooler from solar alone – would depend on the cool-box capacity etc. 

Adding extra portlights or hatches to increase airflow and natural lighting in fore and rear cabins.

A straightforward job – worth checking on the AOA forum for salvage Atalanta portlights, but these can be fabricated; At least one  Atalanta has fitted a standard (i.e. opening type) porthole through the transom.

Replacement  inboard motor required – suitable power rating  and make which would be easy to maintain in France/the med.

Various approaches to inboard auxiliary motors have been tried by owners over the years – suggest have a look through the back issues of the annual bulletin. It largely depends on what uses you are planning – long motoring stints across the channel in calm weather, or just getting in and out of  harbour/berths etc.

230v shore power with distribution MCB board.

Straightforward matter – choose the siting of the shore supply inlet; run the 240V mains lead to an on board breaker switch and fused distribution panel.

NB: You can look up my posts covering refit issues noted above under A169 in the AOA  Register (from the tab on the top menu bar (above).

A169 https://atalantaowners.org/boat-sn/a169/

I hope this is helpful Stephan.

Chris