Mike Dixon
Participant

What’s in a name – or colour for that matter?

This thread co-incided with an article I was reading last night, written by Tom Cunliffe.  He was expounding on a trip in fog and relates that all mariners need to heed the five “L’s” – latitude, log, leadline, lookout and not to be forgotten, trust in the Lord!

So with this in mind, I guess it does no harm whatsoever to appease the Gods, so changing a boat’s name or painting it green (and other bits of folklore) are probably best avoided.

Having said that, I was forced to change the name of the Titania (to Gellie) as the previous owner wanted to keep her name for his new boat.  When I sold the boat, the new owner chose to change the name again, so I elected to change the name of  A31/4 to Gellie.

As to colour, Atalanta was originally painted green by Faireys and I have chosen to repaint her in the original colours.  Only time will tell, but as she started out pained green all those years ago, she isn’t doing so badly so far.

As to big ships – the best one I ever sailed on was pale eau de nil green.  The most depressing ship I ever sailed had a  black painted hull and as far as I know, never changed her name.

Dom – we need to swing the lamp sometime!

Mike