Mike Dixon
Participant

I had occasion to insure Atalanta just last month (August 2020).  I had a builders policy with GJW whilst I carried out the restoration. Because I ran out of time last year, I quickly insured the boat third party only (no survey) for the brief 2019 season.

GJW would not insure the boat unless a full out of water survey was carried out by a professional surveyor.  As far as I am aware, the AOA discount no longer applies and the AOA do not receive a percentagee of the premiums paid. Many members no longer use GJW as they have found better quotes elsewhere.

During the survey last month, I asked the  Surveyor if he had any recommendations of brokers or insurance companies who were sympathetic to old wooden boats.  He ‘off-the-record’ gave me four contacts.  I eventually chose a broker, who whilst not the cheapest (but not much different) seemed to be on the ball with respect to old wooden boats.  He also made me dig out insurance details of my former boat (over four year’s earlier) so that I and he could prove maximum no-claims discount.

Hope this helps,

Mike