This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Phillips 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Dominic Dobson
    Participant

The Engine sit undisturbed in the engine bay and its difficult to check underneath without lifting it out but perhaps we should do this more often. I change the filters and replace the oil on a regular basis sucking the old oil out via the dipstick entry, it never occurred to me to check what’s going on underneath until I arrived to find the bilge full of Oil. first thought was a hole in the filter due to corrosion nothing obvious fortunately the boats on its trailer undergoing maintenance so I lifted the engine out using the trusty Merlo to find the cause of the leak was a hole in the sump where it had corroded through.

Nick Phillips
    Participant

Ouch!  Glad you were on the trailer and not punching off a lee-shore under engine!

I am going to check mine now….

I had never heard of sumps rusting through until I recently bought a ridiculous French car, on which a number of owners have had similar problems. In this case French steel not being able to cope with English salt.

Cheers

Nick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.