• Creator
    Topic
    sczapie2
    Participant

Hi all again, and again looking for your excellent advice, this time on a replacement engine…

So as the Atlanta 26 is lightweight, what is the recommended HP rating to achieve say 5 knots at a comfortable rev count as I believe this should be “safe enough” in most situations outside of the alderney race where even achieving 12 might only just keep you from going backwards :)!!
    Also any particular favoured makes or models that fit nicely in the well?
    thanks in advance

Stephan

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      AOA
      Keymaster

Hi Stephan

To some extent this is a personal choice driven by how you plan to use the boat- there are those that like lots of horses to cope with driving through significant waves and headwinds for hours on end, and others who use engines just to get on and off moorings.  Is your 5 knots in flat water or in waves?

Through the years Atalantas have had pretty much every small engine you can think of.  Popular choices have been the 9-10hp single Yanmar 1GM and the Beta twin 14hp.  Both are higher than the Coventry Victor 12 or 16hp engines usually fitted when new, requiring raised floorboards.  Note that petrol engine and modern diesel engine horsepowers are not directly comparable.

I have a 1GM in Helene. I have found it great for my purposes and find it happy to push the boat along at 4-5knots for hours on end even in a chop.  Easy to service, smallish, However I have also been very impressed sailing (motoring) on Atalanta Mary with her 14hp Beta.

Another factor to consider in fitting an engine is access to the service points including seawater pump, filters, drain plugs, lift pump and bleed screws and so on.

Not sure if any of that helps….

Cheers
      Nick

Mike Dixon
      Participant

Hello Stephan,

I’ve fitted a Beta 14 to A1.  I could have fitted a Beta 12, but as it’s exactly the same size as the 14, I chose the latter.  The 14 revs higher – hence the greater HP output.  Run for the first time last Tuesday – seven hours, sweet as a nut.  Hard to tell just yet, but appears to be just a tad over  one litre per hour at 1800 revs through a 2:1 gearbox.  This gave us 4.5 knots  through the water.  No doubt that higher revs more than possible – higher fuel consumption but 6 knots easily.

Cheers, Mike

turnstone
      Participant

When my family owned A110, we fitted a Yanmar YSE8 (YSM8 and YSL8 were later versions of the same).  We had to lift the floor about 3cm where the floor hinges. The engine is single cylinder horizontal, and the highest point is the flywheel housing. Noisy, very economical (under 1litre per hour at normal cruising speed), and super-reliable once we replaced the ater pump impellor with a Jabsco part as the original Yanmar part lasted a few hours before failing.  Perfect for the boat. one problem – new ones have not been made for many years.  However, I have seen a few years ago an advertisement from a guy somewhere in northern France who used to (and maybe still does) rebuild them.  A few hours with Google should help you find him.  8HP is enough, only once not enough – around Alderney after poor navigation by me! (There is also a YSE12 but in my opinion not necessary) The engine is still fitted to the boat which is now in Germany near the mouth of river Ems. I will have a quick look for the frenchman and post if I find him. regards Richard Salter

turnstone
      Participant

YSE8 in A110

turnstone
      Participant

You will have to raise the engine bearers because the original coventry victor has crankshaft in line with the prop shaft, the Yanmar has a lower gearbox output. Various engines are for sale, and all major parts are available. Richard
      I think this is the man:
      https://m.marche.fr/petite_annonce_nautisme-occasion-achat-vente-moteurs-yanmar-ysm-8-ref57027311.html

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.