• Creator
    Topic
    Fairey Mary
    Participant

OK, possibly because I have lived in Australia for a while but I am of the opinion that a lanolin based grease has a number of uses around the boat.  But I am not so silly as to not ask your opinion before liberally coating everything.

It appeals because it is salt resistant, and a few other hippy reasons.  I have read of Robin Knox-Johnson using it in his round the world trip and its usage goes back to the voyage of St Brenden.  I have also heard of it being used by north sea fishermen to keep their hands warm.

I was wondering about its merits for greasing the keel moving parts.

Any thoughts?

After much searching I found http://www.lanotec.com.au/product/type-a-grease/ .  I avoided lanocote possible for patriotic reasons but this turns out 1/4 the price by volume.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Trevor Thompson
      Participant

An interesting thought!

I was wondering about something along the same lines – but I had been thinking about the propeller grease which you see advertised. Initially because there was a lot of barnackle growth on the prop and shaft this year, but also because it might help reduce the barnacles I get between the keels and along the sand keel.

I cant see any harm in using it on the keels.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.