Scroll down to start a new Topic.

The Forum is for general discussions. If you are posting about a particular boat please consider using the Boat Blog post to add to the story on her page.

Use the 'Subscribe' link on the next line to receive notifications of new Topics and Replies.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Fairey Mary
      Participant

OK, possibly because I have lived in Australia for a while but I am of the opinion that a lanolin based grease has a number of uses around the boat.  But I am not so silly as to not ask your opinion before liberally coating everything.

It appeals because it is salt resistant, and a few other hippy reasons.  I have read of Robin Knox-Johnson using it in his round the world trip and its usage goes back to the voyage of St Brenden.  I have also heard of it being used by north sea fishermen to keep their hands warm.

I was wondering about its merits for greasing the keel moving parts.

Any thoughts?

After much searching I found http://www.lanotec.com.au/product/type-a-grease/ .  I avoided lanocote possible for patriotic reasons but this turns out 1/4 the price by volume.

Trevor Thompson
      Participant

An interesting thought!

I was wondering about something along the same lines – but I had been thinking about the propeller grease which you see advertised. Initially because there was a lot of barnackle growth on the prop and shaft this year, but also because it might help reduce the barnacles I get between the keels and along the sand keel.

I cant see any harm in using it on the keels.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.