• Creator
    Topic
    David Phillips
    Participant

Would be very grateful for any advice that anyone may have for removing and replacing sea cocks that heave been epoxied in place. Definitely need replacing as much of metal has gone pink and three bolts have sheared off. I have a horrible feeling that there may be a small amount of rot around one f them. I am thinking of replacing with grip, any thoughts please?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      David Phillips
      Participant

I meant ‘grp’, predictive text is a nuisance

Dominic Dobson
      Participant

Keep clear of the GRP repairing with veneer a lot easier than you think

colin twyford
      Participant

I agree with Dominic, Make a full repair with laminate and recut using bronze fitting.

Good luck hope to see you soon.

Colin

Chris Green
      Participant

I concur with above –  would just add a backing plate of 12 – 18 mm ply or hardwood epoxied to interior. NB: Original bronze sea cocks can usually be refurbished, but if replacing use marine version not the plumbing valve type. 

colin twyford
      Participant

Your quite right Chris, a solid backing for any opening of the hull or deck is very necessary.

Colin

David Phillips
      Participant

Many thanks for comments above, I was thinking about grp sea cocks, marelon I think? The small amount of rot extends about a centimetre outside the flange, is such a small hole better to re-laminate or epoxy? I was worried that relaminating might weaken the structure more. So thanks Colin, I might have to prevail on your advice re relaminating, scarfing I have done before but not this

colin twyford
      Participant

David

Laminate with inner and outer laminates larger and inner ones diminishing and as Chis mentions a solid backing inside overlapping the repair.

Do you think you may get her to the 60th?

Colin

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.