• Creator
    Topic
    Fairey Mary
    Participant

OK I  went to the boat show and talked to a few people.  There were a number of smaller classics looking splendid and were tung oil varnished.  But in conversation with one of the boat builders they suggested talking to international who after going through the usual discussion suggested I look at awlgrip MA.  They discussed it as a similar product to coelan but they seem to have sorted out the colour.  Looking at the sample they had it looks good.

http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clear-coat-systems/awlwood-ma.aspx

A bit more reading it looks like it is a rebranding of uroxsys which has been used in New Zealand.  Murray have you heard of this?  They were talking about a 6 year plus life time.

They are getting a quote together including delivery but £80 was mentioned per litre.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Fairey Mary
      Participant

In reference at your request I send below ours best quotation

J3809   Primer (Clear ) 1 Quarter                             100,00 -30%

J3890   Gloss             1 Quarter                                 100,00 -30%

T0201   Thinner Brush (Retardant) 1 Quarter         45,00 -30%   (Only for brush applications)

Shipping  Cost                                                              20,00

————–

Total                                                                              191,50 €

Total + Vat                                                                    233,63 €

Goods on stock

Payment : in advance by money transfer

Delivery : ¾ days from when we received the payment on bank

If you want a Prforma Invoice please send me the company details (of the boat)

Does anybody think it is worth it?

Trevor Thompson
      Participant

Seems a lot of money to coat such a small area! I think that there are a number of alternatives to this.

Firstly I used the best I could find on Calista’s transom after the accident. I used a special epiphanes 2 component varnish which can be overcoated after (I seem to remember) 6 hours, to build up 6 coats quickly, and then used 2 coats of ordinary epiphanes varnish to add UV protection to the finish. The special 2 pack was £75 per litre – and I have loads left over. The ordinary stuff was in the order of £25 a litre. I am sure I must have described it in the blog at the time.

I have also experimented with the cheap “yacht varnish” which you buy from DIY shops. Here in Wales the cheap supplier is Wilkinsons – I suspect they are a nationwide chain. It is about £12 per 3/4 litre. I would use a coat of boiled lineseen oil brushed on liberally onto bare wood. Apply 4 coats of varnish on top starting after 24 hours. I recon that gives a self healing effect in case the varnish gets scratched. I have used that succesfully for many years.

Whatever system you use I think that it is important to give the varnishwork a quick rub down each year and add a fresh top coat to renew the UV protection. Keeping the varnishwork out of the weather in the winter, and adding a fresh coat each year really does make it easy to keep varnishwork looking good with the minimum of effort.

I have not had to strip anything (mast, boom, toerails, coachroof, cockpit) back to bare wood in the last 10 years.

Fairey Mary
      Participant

Thanks Trevor,  I have finally trapped myself through inaction again.  The decision was finally driven by availability.  There is a local paint shop which has had good results with a brand called Brava.  It is a tung oil based varnish as opposed to a polyurethane.

I will let you know how I get on with it.  It turns up on Friday.  I have a boat load of reactive resin chemicals to apply whilst I wait for that to turn up.  Keels came off today.  Finger count is still 9.9.

Chris Green
      Participant

Have used DEKS OLJE on and off over the years with pretty good results on various wooden boats.  Two types D1 saturating and D2 gloss varnish.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.