Scroll down to start a new Topic.

The Forum is for general discussions. If you are posting about a particular boat please consider using the Boat Blog post to add to the story on her page.

Use the 'Subscribe' link on the next line to receive notifications of new Topics and Replies.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter Snowdon
      Participant

Somebody, I think it was Trevor, recommended a waterproof grease for the keel assembly. I bookmark the name and supplier but can no longer find it. I searched the old forum but could only find reference to Blakes seacock grease.The one I’m looking for was red. Can anybody help?

Trevor Thompson
      Participant

Hi. Yes I was trying rubber grease which seemed to stop the rubber seals from deteriorating so quickly. I have however found that my keel seals have perished – and I am not convinced that they have actually lasted long enough to make special grease worth while.

If you want to try to find this – you will need to search for “rubber grease” – it is usually used on car brake components – because it does not damage the hydraulic seals. You can find in in conventional size tubs – and I got mine via ebay.

On the other hand you might be satisfied to use whatever grease you fancy – or can get locally. I dont know if anyone elase has strong views on this?

Trevor

Peter Snowdon
      Participant

Thanks Trevor.I have a couple of potentials that I found but was curious if you had found the ultimate product. On the same theme, has anybody used “Ballistol” for the windings of the keel lifting gear? I also thought of using it on the threads of the keel bolts.

Peter

Trevor Thompson said:

Hi. Yes I was trying rubber grease which seemed to stop the rubber seals from deteriorating so quickly. I have however found that my keel seals have perished – and I am not convinced that they have actually lasted long enough to make special grease worth while.

If you want to try to find this – you will need to search for “rubber grease” – it is usually used on car brake components – because it does not damage the hydraulic seals. You can find in in conventional size tubs – and I got mine via ebay.

On the other hand you might be satisfied to use whatever grease you fancy – or can get locally. I dont know if anyone elase has strong views on this?

Trevor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.