• Creator
    Topic
    Peter Snowdon
    Participant

Somebody, I think it was Trevor, recommended a waterproof grease for the keel assembly. I bookmark the name and supplier but can no longer find it. I searched the old forum but could only find reference to Blakes seacock grease.The one I’m looking for was red. Can anybody help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Trevor Thompson
      Participant

Hi. Yes I was trying rubber grease which seemed to stop the rubber seals from deteriorating so quickly. I have however found that my keel seals have perished – and I am not convinced that they have actually lasted long enough to make special grease worth while.

If you want to try to find this – you will need to search for “rubber grease” – it is usually used on car brake components – because it does not damage the hydraulic seals. You can find in in conventional size tubs – and I got mine via ebay.

On the other hand you might be satisfied to use whatever grease you fancy – or can get locally. I dont know if anyone elase has strong views on this?

Trevor

Peter Snowdon
      Participant

Thanks Trevor.I have a couple of potentials that I found but was curious if you had found the ultimate product. On the same theme, has anybody used “Ballistol” for the windings of the keel lifting gear? I also thought of using it on the threads of the keel bolts.

Peter

Trevor Thompson said:

Hi. Yes I was trying rubber grease which seemed to stop the rubber seals from deteriorating so quickly. I have however found that my keel seals have perished – and I am not convinced that they have actually lasted long enough to make special grease worth while.

If you want to try to find this – you will need to search for “rubber grease” – it is usually used on car brake components – because it does not damage the hydraulic seals. You can find in in conventional size tubs – and I got mine via ebay.

On the other hand you might be satisfied to use whatever grease you fancy – or can get locally. I dont know if anyone elase has strong views on this?

Trevor

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.