Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Doug Odgers
    Participant

I have a  (forgive the terminology)  ‘bog standard’  Atalanta trailer.  Most probably of the original design.

I am trying to determine the weight just of the trailer.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Dominic Dobson
      Participant

Doug,

the trailer was made from original drawings and salvaged running gear and hitch by myself and friend when I purchased boat sorry I cannot help with weight, if I remember correctly there were a couple of designs and this seemed to be a sturdier version.

Dom

Richard James
      Keymaster

Doug,

I have always used 800 kg (1760 lbs) as the weight of A89’s trailer, which is a 1975 Bramber trailer, converted to AOA spec by Zetwins in 1977.

I’ve just been online and basic modern 26 foot trailers are quoted as 670 kg – 750 kg, so when you add the weight of the 3 timber supports, it adds up to about 800 kg.

Richard

Doug Odgers
      Participant

Dom & Richard,

Thank you both very much.

I needed this preparatory to swapping our car.

Have as good a Christmas you can manage.

Doug

Dominic Dobson
      Participant

Doug,

id suggest to be definitely road legal you need 3.5t towing capacity, I used to tow with l200 which had capacity of 2.5t and towed ok but always was unsure what would happen if I was stopped/involved in accident. I think Trevor Thompson once weighed his Titania and trailer which made him empty the two tool/storage boxes that were attached to the trailer as he was close to the tow weight of his Range Rover 3.5t.

have you considered hiring a suitable tow vehicle when required rather than buying, as unless you tow a lot you end up spending money on extra fuel throughout the year for the convenience of having a tow vehicle that is used twice a year.

AOA
      Keymaster

I would echo Dom’s suggestion of considering hiring when you need it, if its just going to be occasional towing, or you need that type of tow vehicle for other purposes. 3.5t towing capacity is a must – by the time you have the boat and gear, trailer and yourself you will not be far from that. And it is the stopping and cornering, not the pulling you need to worry about. The running costs on suitable cars are much much higher than a large estate or even a 2wd SUV.
      I have had two Discoveries and a Touareg – all very competent tow vehicles, all very expensive to run.
      My problem was that there were no hire companies in Norfolk with suitable ‘casual’ hire vehicles that I could conveniently rely on. However I know that Laurence hired an excellent car in Dorst to pick up Joann earlier this year.

But of course suitable tow vehicles do also make commanding everyday drivers……

Doug Odgers
      Participant

Thanks gentlemen.

Yes, the only local hirer who would offer me a vehicle for towing is Dorset Vehicle Hire.

I didn’t explain that my enquiry related to towing the empty trailer, which reduces my hiring period.

Again, excellent guidance.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.