• Creator
    Topic
    Trevor Thompson
    Participant

I have been experimenting with an obsolete QME self steering system which was given to me a few years ago by Rob Wooley.

My first attempts to use it in 12 to 15 knots of wind didn’t really work. The vane would not move the tiller – it tried to move it but there was too much friction or not enough power.

I have reduced the friction at the steering pulleys, and will try it again when the opportunity arrises.

In the meantime I wondered if anyone has experience of the QME being fitted to Atalanta’s?

Someone must have had one in the dim and distant past!

By the way I am not intending to go ocean sailing, I am just messing about.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Chris Green
      Participant

Trevor – Have attached below a picture of Kerry Piper in the 1970s sent by Sebastien Vanblaere (whose father was the owner in that period). Kerry Piper is sporting a wind vane of some type, so presumably worked okay. I picked up a
      Plastimo vane system at one time (looks similar to the QME); it was too lightweight for the 9 ton Hilliard I wanted it for so I sold it to a chap with a smaller wooden (long keel) sloop and I think he had it working OK. I am looking at self steering from the sheets to tiller (whipstaff in this case) as an experiment when KP is afloat. Some interesting stuff on this if you are interested at http://www.blueanarchy.org/selfsteering/ – I think this could work on the Atalanta.

Trevor Thompson
      Participant

Chris

It certainly looks like a QME. Presumably it worked to some extent.

Anyone else able to add anything?

Trevor

Chris Green said:

Trevor – Have attached below a picture of Kerry Piper in the 1970s sent by Sebastien Vanblaere (whose father was the owner in that period). Kerry Piper is sporting a wind vane of some type, so presumably worked okay. I picked up a
      Plastimo vane system at one time (looks similar to the QME); it was too lightweight for the 9 ton Hilliard I wanted it for so I sold it to a chap with a smaller wooden (long keel) sloop and I think he had it working OK. I am looking at self steering from the sheets to tiller (whipstaff in this case) as an experiment when KP is afloat. Some interesting stuff on this if you are interested at http://www.blueanarchy.org/selfsteering/ – I think this could work on the Atalanta.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.