Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Trefor Goronwy
    Participant

Hi all.

Have just bought Amber Ellen, A161. Looking at doing her up over the winter to sail her back home to Arran from Ullapool. She’s been undercover in a barn for a few years so is very dry. The owner of the barn wants her out by December- January time so I need to get here ready for the outdoors, even if covered. The hull seems like it just needs some finishing work but the deck looks like it needs quite a bit of work. Have attached some photos and looking for any advice on reappearing the deck before I start varnishing her. I believe there may be some Agba veneer in the shed, how tricky is cutting out parts and re-layering them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers Trefor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Mike Dixon
      Participant

Hello Trefor,

Welcome to the AOA and great news that you have become the new owner of Amber Ellen.  Chris Green kindky mentions my laminating experiences, but my efforts are only those of a ‘determined amateur’ – which I guess covers the efforts of the majority of the members.  Nothing wrong with that though, and results heve been pretty impressive over the years.

Laminating is not difficult – but it is time consuming.  Having the correct tools and equipment is key.  Have a look at the website where there is a wealth of information.  If you would like to have a chat, please do feel free to give me a call on 07775 690726.

Good luck!

Mike (Dixon)

Chris Green
      Participant

Hello Trefor  – There are plenty of rebuild examples for hull repairs on AOA – if you try a search with key words you should find plenty. Repairing damaged, delaminated or rotted with Agba  veneers is fairly straightforward. A1 restoration of hull veneers by Mike Dixon post has a comprehensive step by step on hull repairs.

Chris

AOA
      Keymaster

Welcome Trefor!

You may have already found some of the links Chris refers to above.  Two excellent references are the Boat Pages for A183 Bluster and Mike Dixon’s A1 Atalanta.  Both pages have a lot of posts referring to some excellent restoration work.

And Chris Green also has previous as evidenced on the Boat Page for his boat, A169 Elle.

Have you found the online Archive Index under the Reference menu item? You have to be logged in to access but once you are you can use the Filters and Search box to access the many articles and papers published over the years about restoring the boats.

And of course, please do ask any specific questions on her – I am pretty sure you will get lots of helpful responses!

Cheers
      Nick

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.